HOW DO I USE A JOURNAL?
This month, we've already talked about how to set up a journal and why journaling can help overcome fear, resistance, and perfectionism. However, if you're still asking yourself, "But what do I write about in my journal?" we're going to get you started with a handful of prompts you can reach for on days you're feeling stuck.
Before we do though, remember that with journaling, you can truly include anything you want. I know I say that often, but I really mean it. When you journal, you can include...
- Daily Entries
- Creative Writing
- Blog ideas, outlines, and rough drafts
- Morning Pages
- Brain dumping
- Art (your journal and art journal don't have to be in separate notebooks)
Only by consistently writing in your journal, will you find what works best for you. (<<< click to tweet!)
15 JOURNAL PROMPTS
- If time and money were unlimited, what would you do with your life?
- George Moore said, “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” Is it necessary to take the journey to find what we need?
- Is there anyone in your life your try to impress? Why? Or if there isn’t, why not?
- Journal about some of your favorite inspirational quotes.
- Think back to your childhood. What memory stands out to you the most. Write about it.
- Rewrite a scene from a favorite book (your own or one someone else has written) into a different genre.
- Write with your non-dominant hand. Since words are harder to form this way, you'll really have to think about which words are necessary.
- Rewrite a scene through the eyes of at least two different characters. What changes? What stays the same?
- Your life backwards...go!
- Write a very short scene where your hero is the villain is the hero. Get to know the other side of your characters.
- List ten abilities that you are strongly confident you possess. How can you apply these abilities to change your life?
- Think of something in your life you want to change. Do you have the strength to change it?
- Write about a time in your life when you believed you could do anything.
- Have you ever backed out of something because you were afraid you couldn't handle it?
- How could you go about cleaning out a corner of your mind to allow creativity a place to grow?
Leave a comment and tell me which prompt you're going to try this week!