How Do I Use An Art Journal?
We talked about setting up your art journal in this post and my top tips to make art journaling work for you, but if you are still feeling stuck on what you can actually put in your art journal, let's break that down now.
First of all, there is no limit to what you can include in your art journal. Don't mistake the term "art" to mean you need to draw or paint landscapes and realistic looking people. Art is
And so on. Some people like to layer media in their art journals. Other people prefer to stick to sketches and words. Only by playing around with your art journal will you know what's right for you.
Still stuck? How about some prompts to get you started...
15+ Art Journal Prompts
- List. Everyone loves a good list, right?
- List the places your want to visit and cut out pictures or draw your own of each place.
- Create an A-Z list. List something you love for each letter of the alphabet. Play around with color, texture, drawing, and painting to define each word.
- Things I'd rather be doing.
- Without using words, show the lyrics of your favorite song.
- Gratitude: What are you grateful for?
- Your ideal garden.
- Emotional journaling. Again, try to use few words with this page and instead draw, paint, and show the emotion.
- Favorite childhood memory. Include a picture of your childhood if you have one.
- I am... Define who you are. Use images and words.
- Draw your words. Use paint and a paintbrush to write.
- Today I... Write and/or draw about your day.
- One word (use any media your want to define this one word):
- Your favorite quote.
- Books you want to read this year.
- Goal you are currently working on.
- If you could relive any day...
- Where do you see yourself in five years?